Friday, June 6, 2008

Raindrops on roses....

It is very early morning and I can't sleep because there is such a violent thunder storm raging outside our window. I can't get the Sound of Music song, "Raindrops on Roses" about a thunder storm out of my head. My kids never came into my room so we could sing and dance together. Oh well.

It is crazy living on the 24th floor during a thunderstorm. We are in the middle of it! The lightning is right outside our window with the thunder following just milliseconds later. Now that I am up, I can see the lighting not only lighting up the apartment, but the jagged lines from the clouds up above to the ocean down below us. The barges must be safely docked because I don't hear their deep horns which I usually hear during a storm. I guess maybe the rain was too loud, because I just heard one. And another. It would be scary to be out on the water in this storm.

Tony is supposed to be flying to Taiwan this morning. He left in a taxi earlier than I got up. I hope he makes it!

A couple of days ago, Ben was praying and said, "we appreciate the rain, but we have had enough, so let it rain in Utah!" It has been raining for weeks now with no end in sight. It is the rainy/monsoon season. I'm glad we will be leaving the rain to come to Utah for the summer.

2 comments:

Scott Abbott said...

What a vivid description.

When I'm in a thunderstorm, I always shut off my computer immediately to avoid having it fried.

Does the big building make a difference so you don't have to worry about that?

We had an inch and a half of rain yesterday! Feels like a rainforest; but I bet that's just a sprinkle for you.

Christy said...

Our building has lightning rods on the roof so I guess that should take care of a direct hit. In the ten months we have been here, we have never lost power. Our neighbors (a few miles away) lost internet/tv connection today. There were landslides and floods all over Hong Kong. I hope Tony makes it home tonight!